First, let’s clarify a couple of things:
- My blog is barely alive to begin with! It is clear that I have yet to hit my blogging comfort zone. It may be a bit unfair to blame a whole marketing strategy, but in an area that I am still trying to get comfortable with the idea of content marketing is a lot to take in.
- I am in no way disputing the concept-it makes sense.
In a broad definition, Content Marketing Institute defines content marketing as:
…a marketing technique of creating and distributing relevant and valuable content to attract, acquire, and engage a clearly defined and understood target audience – with the objective of driving profitable customer action.
You can see companies/businesses that are doing this right and benefiting their businesses. For me, it’s less about whether it is legit and more about the how to.
It’s the overwhelm of it all.
- Identify your content marketing goals
- Understand your audience and what information they need
- Create relevant/valuable/timely/engaging content…that will make your reader take action
- Implement a system and editorial calendar
- Find the time to do all that!
I start thinking about all of this and my brain says “circuits over loaded try again later”. When later comes, I’m back at the beginning of the content-marketing-overwhelm list and round we go… with never a blog post written.
A Different Approach
Now that I’ve pin pointed some of the triggers that are killing my blogger mojo, I can work on ways to move forward.
Here are some baby steps I’ll be making:
- Educate myself on “how to” create a system that works for me and benefits my readers. Content Marketing Institute has a ton of information to get the ball rolling:
What is Content Marketing and Getting Started seem to be good places to start.
- Write what moves me/interests me. Chances are, I’m not the only one that will find a given topic helpful or interesting.
- Don’t let my overwhelm list stop me from writing all together.
Following my new approach, if all the bits and pieces of the puzzle fall into the right place at the right time: Great. If not, hopefully what I’m sharing will still be useful/touching/thought-provoking to someone out there.
What’s to Come
Hopefully this will be one of many changes I’ll be sharing with you on my entrepreneurial journey.
I’ll keep you posted (haha).